Monday, May 08, 2006


Just had an interesting debate on another blog, about music. Specifically what bands were good and which ones sucked. The writer set it up as a "this band -vs- that band" voting and we actually got some pretty good responses. A smattering of obscure references, and more than a few personal tales coming from memories the music sparked. Which led me to thinking that music plays a huge part in our lives. Don't think so, look at the shelves in your music store labelled "Soundtracks". Think that would be there if music didn't matter. Ask anyone what song reminds them of a certain time in their life and I'm willing to wager that they will name you one.
I remember the summer of '82 like it was yesterday. I had just graduated HS and was waiting to go into Boot Camp the following February. I was a teen looking for fun, dealing with boredom, and wrestling with the idea that in less than 6 months some stranger was going to shave my head and send me off to do God knew what, God knew where. What songs come to mind? Billy Squier was huge that summer. "The Stroke" was on WDIZ every 30 minutes. I even went to see him in concert. He opened for Foghat, Rossington-Collins, and Heart. Everyone of those bands had songs that play into my memories of that summer. Jamming to Heart's "Magic Man" at the beach, cranking Foghat's "Slow Ride" on the way to work (I had it on 8-track), and no child of the 70's/early 80's ever forgets "Freebird". "I Love Rock-n-Roll" was huge that summer as was tunes from that new guy, John Cougar.
So much of our lives revolve around music that I believe we begin to take it for granted. You want to see a hellacious day. Forget about "A day with out illegals", ponder on a day without tunes. No music on the ride into work, no radio on your desk, or riding piggyback on your forklift, nothing but dead air for the commute home. No thank you.
So whether your kick is headbanging with Disturbed, or crooning with Bing & Fred, kicking with Garth, or slow dancing to Manilow, remember the music and what it means to you. Pass your love of music on. Take the kids to a concert (preferably KISS & Aerosmith, arguably one of the best concerts I have ever seen). Listen, really listen to those tunes playing in the background. Except for that organ crap at the ball game. As Eddie Izzard sasys, that really is shite.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home